Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Starting 2011 off with a Bang!

It's only January 4th, 2011 and already it feels like we've managed to cross a tonne off of our to-do list for 2011. 

First I'll start with our gorgeous built-ins!  This has been a project in the making for 3 years.  As soon as we moved into our house and saw the layout of this strange room, we knew we had to do "something."   (This is the previous owners furniture - I wish I had the cajones to buy a red couch!!) 
As you can see the room is very small and boxy.  It's directly off our kitchen and although I love the rest of the house, this room always felt like a bit of a misfit.  So we himmmmmed and we hawwwwed and we finally decided to go for a built-in look.  We worried that it would make a small room that much smaller, but decided for the warmth factor and started the process. 

In between going back and forth on whether we were going to go ahead with the idea, I emailed the lovely Janell from http://www.isabellaandmaxrooms.blogspot.com/ who was incredibly helpful and encouraged me (us) to go for it!

First step was to find a carpenter who could build it and install it within our budget...3 carpenters later we found him!  Finally we started mucking around with a design and found to our dismay that what we wanted was waaayyyyy out of our price bracket, but perhaps we had another option we had yet to explore!?  Mr. M and I are members of Direct Buy and have never really used it to its full potential.  Well, I think we can officially say we've used the membership well!  We ordered customized cabinets from Direct Buy and are fairly pleased with the result.  Here's the built-in project as it progressed over the weekend...

The blank canvas before we moved everything out.

The first piece of the built-ins moved into the room.

The crazy plans!
Getting there


All the pieces assembled.

Dry Wall done.

And the finished product.


Just need some things on the shelves and some capping pieces...
 Love it....there were a few foibles:  like the back piece behind the tv that wasn't cut properly and therefore the seams don't line up properly.  And we need to order capping pieces for the 4 longitudinal pieces to hide the seams, but I think otherwise we're good...so happy we decided to move ahead with this! 

Now it's just the paint colour for the walls....any suggestions?  (We bought the handles yesterday, now just need to install them!)


No comments:

Post a Comment