Sometimes it's hard to keep perspective. The little things drive us around the bend: the toothpaste which has leaked all over the counter, again; the empty bowls from breakfast left on the table; the constant tripping over backpacks and shoes and whatnots in the hallway; the endless pieces of paper spread from one end of the house to another. Then all of a sudden, something will kick you in the ass and you'll give your head a shake and think, who the hell cares? Look how important life is, how incredibly lucky we are to have these little people in our lives, how wonderfully innocent they are, how everything we say and show them is magic and important and true. We are blessed to be parents.
On Friday last, my boss's 4 year old son was diagnosed with occular cancer.
As a colleague, I have run the gamut of emotions. Shock, grief, anger. I can't imagine, as a mom, hearing those words come out of doctor's mouth. A child! A 4 year old child! What the hell has this beautiful little boy done to deserve a diagnosis like this? What will this mean for him, for the family, for his future? How is he going to withstand chemo and radiation? Will he even understand the words cancer? How will my boss handle this? How will she hold her family together? It must be every parent's worst nightmare.
Tonite, and everynight, I hope I remember to give my kids a hug and tell them how special they are and how incredibly lucky I am to be their mom.
No comments:
Post a Comment