Friday, November 19, 2010

The Purple Ribbon

Where does one start?  Someone told me recently, "one moment I was sick, the next moment I had a disease,"  that statement resonated with me. 

For the past 3 months I've been having stabbing-like pains in my lower right abdominal area, noticed definite reactions to certain foods and well, let's just say the bathroom and I were becoming very close.  One doctor said hernia, another said cysts, finally one doc ordered an ultrasound...which led to a CT Scan, which ultimately led to the diagnosis of Crohn's. 

As a newbie to Crohn's, the first thing I did was turn to the internet, which as most of us know, at the same time we're "educating" ourselves using the resourses online, we're also scaring the hell out of ourselves with the copious amounts of unfiltered information availabe to us at the tap of the enter button on our keyboards.  Some of the information you can find on the websites!!!  I ended up searching the shelves at Chapter's to see what I could find, only to be disappointed in the available resources.  I did however find, that apparently there is a great chapter of the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation  here in the city, and I am looking forward to participating in some of their events.

I fully realize that the diagnosis could have been much scarier, but I must admit that it is taking me time to wrap my head around the idea of living with this forever.  As my GI told me, he and I are going to become very close in the near future...thank goodness for a GI with a sense of humour!

More on the colonoscopy and the dreaded prep in the next post...

No comments:

Post a Comment